excluding features from sloppy mode

Brandon Benvie brandon at brandonbenvie.com
Mon Dec 31 12:29:32 PST 2012

The only motivation for me is in attempting to get rid of there even being
two modes. I don't really care if it was strict or not strict, just that
there's only one of them. Obviously the horse left the barn for ES5 long
ago, but the desire to collapse down to one mode in as much code as
possible is still motivating. I saw bundling as many carrots in with strict
mode as a way to leverage developers into the single mode JS utopia of the
future. I appreciate the arguments about the negatives of forcing the
pragma incantation though.

How about making ES6 features only available inside modules? I guess that's
kind of a cop-out though, since you don't always need a module. I still
yearn for that utopian JS future where there is no need for two modes.