10 biggest JS pitfalls

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Sun Dec 30 15:38:41 PST 2012

Axel Rauschmayer wrote:
>>> - Implicit conversions are messy (and a superset of pitfall #2), but
>>> seem to surprise people much less than the above items.
>>
>> I think you have it backwards.
>
> My experience, so far. I’d be interested in other examples of implicit
> conversions stumping people.

What stumped who, when? Any bugs/github issues/blog posts to cite?

   if (!p) { /* p is null or 0 in C */ }

is common in C-like languages that tolerate it. JS does, with a
Perl/AWK/etc. addition: "" is falsy, as well as 0, null, undefined, and
false.

I've never heard anyone doing real work complain, and the Object
Detection pattern on the web relies on undefined => false along with
missing property read resulting in undefined.

>>> - Modules close another important hole in JavaScript, but I wouldn’t
>>> consider that hole a pitfall.
>>
>> You mean free variables being static errors? That is not a done deal yet.
>
> No, I meant the hole of not having a module system that is part of the
> language. They don’t plug, they *are* the plug. ;-)
> Sorry for being ambiguous.

But what's the pitfall? "Lack of a module system" describes a solution
more than a symptom.

>> Missing properties yielding undefined still burns many JS
>> programmers. Not an implicit conversion, so worth a separate item.
>
> In chains? obj.prop1.prop2?

No, that throws promptly with near-enough blame!

The problem is the dual of object detection as a useful pattern. When
you expect var foo = obj.foo to get an extant property's value, and let
foo flow off into complex control flows before being dereferenced, then
you have the "come-from" problem.