Why does legacy content break when making array-likes real arrays?

Brandon Benvie brandon at brandonbenvie.com
Sun Dec 30 15:05:52 PST 2012

The primary issue is that most array-likes aren't array-like when it comes
to mutability. Most exposed indexed objects don't allow changes to their
indices, which is decidedly un-array-like for ~quarter of array operations.
It would be useful for there to be a separate "Indexed" class/prototype
that contained the Array methods that don't mutate `this`, which Arguments
and NodeLists and a bunch of other stuff could inherit from, which would
also prevent backward compat issues with testing for instanceof Array.