10 biggest JS pitfalls

Axel Rauschmayer axel at rauschma.de
Sun Dec 30 15:03:44 PST 2012

>> - Implicit conversions are messy (and a superset of pitfall #2), but seem to surprise people much less than the above items.
>
> I think you have it backwards.

My experience, so far. I’d be interested in other examples of implicit conversions stumping people.

>> - Modules close another important hole in JavaScript, but I wouldn’t consider that hole a pitfall.
>
> You mean free variables being static errors? That is not a done deal yet.

No, I meant the hole of not having a module system that is part of the language. They don’t plug, they *are* the plug. ;-)
Sorry for being ambiguous.

> Missing properties yielding undefined still burns many JS programmers. Not an implicit conversion, so worth a separate item.

In chains? obj.prop1.prop2?

--
Dr. Axel Rauschmayer
axel at rauschma.de