Why does legacy content break when making array-likes real arrays?

Domenic Denicola domenic at domenicdenicola.com
Sun Dec 30 14:23:46 PST 2012

I saw this happen, and was sad, but never understood what the legacy problem was.

Similarly, when people ask me "why can't they just make arguments a real array" (perhaps with magic aliasing behavior in sloppy mode), I don't know the answer.

So just out of curiosity, how does legacy code break when making array-likes into real arrays? I feel like the Liskov Substitution Principle should have our back here.