excluding features from sloppy mode

Axel Rauschmayer axel at rauschma.de
Sun Dec 30 03:39:12 PST 2012

I agree. To me it comes down to cognitive load. A good way of measuring that is whether one can state a simple rule. For Andreas’ approach, it would be:
“If you want the new stuff, turn on strict mode or wrap a module around it.”
- Pro 1JS: You can use new stuff everywhere.
- Contra 1JS: You can’t use all of the new stuff. There are tricky exceptions and rules.

Another thought: What will JavaScript code look like once 99% of browsers in use support ES6? Will we have a language with coherent semantics and a simple structure? That is: is there a way to drop some of the trickiness, long term? And which of the approaches gets us there?

On Dec 30, 2012, at 8:59 , Brandon Benvie <brandon at brandonbenvie.com> wrote:

> I believe the only major factors in usage uptake for ES6 will be in the ever present need for backwards compatibility, and educating developers on what new tools exist. Imdo not believe having a "use strict" gatekeeper at the front of the ES6 bonanza would not be a motivating factor in turning people away.
>
> "I really wish I could use destructuring and arrow functions and generators and iterators and...*a dozen more carrots*, but this strict mode thing is just a bridge too far."
>
> I cannot see that thought process actually going through anyone's mind.

Dr. Axel Rauschmayer
axel at rauschma.de

home: rauschma.de
twitter: twitter.com/rauschma