excluding features from sloppy mode

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Sun Dec 30 02:58:09 PST 2012

Andreas Rossberg wrote:
> On 29 December 2012 22:06, Brendan Eich<brendan at mozilla.com>  wrote:
>> Andreas Rossberg wrote:
>>> ES6+ will stay much longer (at least that's what we are working for).
>>> Consequently, what should take precedence are the expectations and
>>> needs of _future_ users of ES. Those who will come to ES6+ without
>>> knowing nor caring about the colorful history of its earlier versions.
>>> For them, having various features locally change the semantics of
>>> unrelated constructs
>> Whoa.
>>
>> Who ever proposed that? It seems a misunderstanding. No one is saying that,
>> e.g., destructuring formal parameters, or a rest parameter, should flip the
>> containing function into strict mode. Banning duplicate formals in no wise
>> does that.
>
> We are discussing it for classes right now, and it has been on the
> table for other features (such as arrows or generators) several times,
> if my memory serves me right.

Two separate things:

1. All new syntax with code bodies makes strict-by-fiat code bodies.

2. New parameter forms restrict duplicate parameters.

Neither entails "various features locally chang[ing] the semantics of
unrelated constructs"-- unless by "local" you mean the new syntax's head
and "unrelated" the new syntax's body!