excluding features from sloppy mode

Herby Vojčík herby at mailbox.sk
Sun Dec 30 02:42:03 PST 2012

Domenic Denicola wrote:
> [...]

Yes.

The old conforming sloppy code will work.

The new must be strict to use new things.

But the new things _are_ valuable. Wanting 'use strict' (or module, or
class) should not be an issue for people writing new code. Nor, imho,
for people redesigning big bunches of old code. The only losers of this
reform are people with old codebase wanting to clean it using better new
constructs but their boss prohibits them using 'use strict'. And even
for them, class is giving opportunity of incremental progress.

I would solve the little issue of "class can be of very little
granularity when using class expressions" by using only standalone class
definitions* as implicitly strict (and using class expression in sloppy
code would just end up with "new features only in strict mode" error).

> (Although, as I write that last sentence, I realize this isn't much
> different than suggested `use version 6` :-/)

But it isn't. So in fact no additional mode. That's important. :-)

Herby

* If there are "module expressions", disallowing them, too.