excluding features from sloppy mode

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Sun Dec 30 02:04:22 PST 2012

> Ease of teaching != successfully imparted knowledge at scale. Sorry, but
> it's true. People don't use "use strict"; at top level enough, and
> teaching them all will take time. Even then, because of the Law of Least
> Effort, it'll be left out.
>
> This is the major objection some of us keep raising, and you don't
> engage with it. Please do!

    The only occasions when I don't use strict mode is when
    I forget to write "use strict", which is most of the time.

Ideally, I would like to get rid of the pragma, while making strict
mode the default for ES6. But it would be ES6 strict mode, which
does not have to be the same as ES5 strict mode.

If there is anything in ES5 strict mode that cannot be implemented
efficiently or that gives other reasons for not wanting to use strict
mode, on purpose (rather than by accident/lack of knowledge),
then ES6 strict mode could perhaps be refined to get rid of those
stumbling blocks?

So, my question is: is it possible to merge the needs of ES5
sloppy mode users and the advantages of ES5 strict mode and
come up with a one-mode-only ES6?

Claus