excluding features from sloppy mode

David Herman dherman at mozilla.com
Fri Dec 28 12:26:32 PST 2012

On Dec 28, 2012, at 12:20 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:

> I get nervous when speculations about future adoption ratios or incentives for developers are made without enough data or table-stakes ante'ing (bolded tripled *biggest* doesn't count as money!).

OK, I've made that same argument recently, I'll take it. I guess what I can retain of that argument is that *if* modules succeed, then the implicit opt-in will have bought us little.

But even if *not*, it's not worth proliferating the number of cases that are implicitly strict. Modules are a good place to implicitly opt in to strict mode, because they're a coarse-grained program structuring feature. Classes are finer-grained, especially dynamic classes like in ES6.

Meanwhile we don't *need* the world to use strict. Modules will reinforce strictness on a large scale; classes provide much less reinforcement, and more complexity. Not worth it.

Dave