whither TDZ for 'let' (was: On dropping @names)

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu Dec 27 23:25:46 PST 2012

This thread needs a new subject to be a spin-off on the very important
topic of to TDZ or not to TDZ 'let'. IMHO you neatly list the risks below.

I had swallowed TDZ in the face of these risks. I'm still willing to do
so, for Harmony and for greater error catching in practice. I strongly
suspect declare-at-the-bottom and other odd styles possible with 'var'
won't be a problem for 'let' adoption. However, we need implementors to
optimize 'let' *now* and dispell the first item below.

/be