Changing [[Prototype]]

David Herman dherman at mozilla.com
Wed Dec 26 21:40:49 PST 2012

On Dec 24, 2012, at 2:17 AM, David Bruant <bruant.d at gmail.com> wrote:

> The ability to change the [[Prototype]] of an object is orthogonal to the __proto__ problem. If it's necessary for DOM objects to change the [[Prototype]] for backward-compat or security reasons, it can do so, I guess. __proto__ is about author being allowed to change the [[Prototype]].

Somewhat orthogonal. But if there's an API that can mutate prototypes, then authors can still do so at least indirectly on at least some kinds of objects.

We've given up on the (non-existent) invariant that [[Prototype]] is immutable. That doesn't mean we should set caution to the wind and specify standard libraries that mutate [[Prototype]] links whenever it happens to solve some problem.

Dave, caremad