Changing [[Prototype]]

David Herman dherman at mozilla.com
Wed Dec 26 21:38:46 PST 2012

On Dec 24, 2012, at 1:48 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at annevk.nl> wrote:

> I thought I'd give a heads up as over on www-dom at w3.org we're
> discussing two cases where we likely need to change the prototype
> chain of objects: document.open() and methods that do the equivalent
> of document.adoptNode() (including that method itself):

Thank for the heads up. I'll chat with bz to get more of the back story. This is pretty effing awful. It may in fact be unavoidable but I'd like to make sure I understand why people feel there's no alternative; otherwise I may have to consider throwing my already mangled body in front of yet another train... ;-)

> It seems ES6 has __proto__ which also allows modifying [[Prototype]]
> so presumably this is nothing particularly bad, although it is very
> ugly :-(

It is never safe to assume that just because something is out there on the web that it is "nothing particularly bad"... (FML)

Dave