Flexible String Representation - full Unicode for ES6?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 22:35:44 PST 2012

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 5:20 PM, Mark Davis ☕ <mark at macchiato.com> wrote:
> The man main complication for compatibility is indexing.
>
> See
> http://macchiati.blogspot.com/2012/07/unicode-string-models-many-programming.html

Right, and that's the exact issue. If a programming language had a bug
wherein division would sometimes give completely wrong results (and
not counting old Pentiums), would that be considered a bug to be
fixed, or a critical backward-compatibility issue? Or, closer to the
issue: If the presence of an asterisk at the beginning of a string
caused its characters to be indexed from 1 instead of from 0, that
would be considered a bug, right? And if code happened to be depending
on the bug, it would simply be broken on the broken
interpreter(s) - similarly to what happens when code has to run on old
versions of Internet Explorer and needs to have special compatibility
handlers. There's no changing the old interpreters, but at least new
interpreters can start getting things right.

> If you look back about a year in this list's archive you'll find a long
> discussion.

Very long, yes... I've read some of the posts, but not all.

Chris Angelico