Conditional catch clause

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu Dec 20 14:16:40 PST 2012

John J Barton wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 12:38 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com
> <mailto:brendan at mozilla.com>> wrote:
>
>     John J Barton wrote:
>
>         Java is one example of a language that supports non-error uses
>         of the try/catch exception mechanism. Part of that support
>         includes a way for debuggers to distinguish errors uses from
>         non-error uses. Encouraging additional non-error use
>

>     Again, I object. StopIteration is not "encouraging additional
>     non-error [uses of try/catch]" outside of specialized,
>     written-by-experts libraries such as http://taskjs.org/.
>
>     The exceptions-are-not-all-errors cat is out of the bag. You don't
>     seem to agree but you haven't rebutted directly. I cry foul.
>

> But I do agree! It's Claude that proposes to release the cat. It's
> Claude proposal we are discussing, not StopIteration, you've already
> declared it out of bounds.

I will avoid taking the StopIteration bait liberally sprinkled amidst
the discussion :-P.

I would not say anything is "out of bounds", but StopIteration is just
an example of non-error exceptions. It may stand out to some (we've
shipped it since 2006 without a lot of pain on the debugger side -- or
any, from my view of bugzilla [let me know if I missed a bug]) but the
general ability to throw any value for dynamic control effects has been
around since 1999, and it does see some use in the field.

So perhaps I'm just fussing over a point of order, but these fine points
seem important to strive to agree on, or disagreement will spring up
again based on different assumptions.

>         of the JavaScript try/catch mechanism without a similar means
>         to separate them from error uses
>

>     Again, without a type system, how?
>

> Hmm: maybe some as trivial as a property 'isNotException'. Mandated on
> StopIteration, allowed on user objects.

Don't you mean isNotError or isNotErrorException?

Would you put it on Object.prototype?

It seems to me the (e instanceof Error) test is better, but there could
be a duck-typing convenience. Perhaps "isErrorException" would be best,
so you don't need to ensure it exists -- then the default undefined
value converts to false. Perhaps there's a better name. We should focus
on this if it's what you seek.