A DOM use case that can't be emulated with direct proxies

David Bruant bruant.d at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 01:12:36 PST 2012

Le 13/12/2012 00:51, Mark S. Miller a écrit :
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 11:19 AM, David Bruant <bruant.d at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> * change the behavior of WindowProxy instances when it comes to doing things
>> that would commit them to eternal invariants to throw instead of forwarding.
>> This solution may still be possible, because it's unlikely that
>> Object.defineProperty is widely used in web content today. But this change
>> should happen pretty fast before content relies on it.
> I think this is the only viable solution.
Ok. What do you think of the idea of different handlers based on
context? [1]

> The current behavior violates ES5 in an unintended way[1].
Just to clarify, invariants described in ES5.1 - 8.6.2 are violated.

> As you say, to remain viable, it
> must be done quickly. From previous experience, I suggest that there's
> exactly one way to get quick universal deployment: add a test to
> test262 that fails when a browser's WindowProxy object violates this
> normative part of the ES5 spec.
I feel such a test would rather belong to the HTML DOM. But either way,
I agree.
I'll reach out to public-script-coord to re-explain the issue and the
suggested changes. I'll write a test case, submit it to the webapps
directory [2] (I'll ask first to be sure it's the right one) and file
bugs in different browsers.

David

[1] Last point of
https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2012-December/027092.html