String.fromCodePoint and surrogate pairs?

Erik Arvidsson erik.arvidsson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 07:46:33 PST 2012

It was suggested to me that we could probably extend String.fromCodePoint
to be aware of UTF-16 code units too. It seems doable since the lead
surrogate is not a valid code point.

The question is if it is worth it? It seems like we are going down a
slippery slope if we start to do things like this. Should we also handle
UTF-8 code units. Maybe it is better not to do this and try to get people
to move away from UTF-16 code units and move them towards code points.

--
erik