Object.define ==> Object.mixin??

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Tue Dec 11 09:28:44 PST 2012

I'm the past we discussed issues surrounding the semantic differences between "put" and "define" and we've agreed to include Object.assign in ES6.  We have also discussed Object.define but have not yet made a decision to include it.

Nicholas Zaka recently posted a short article that addresses issues relating to the assign/define distinction http://www.nczonline.net/blog/2012/12/11/are-your-mixins-ecmascript-5-compatible/  as they already surface in ES5.

For me, this article reenforces that we really need to have something like Object.define in ES6.

It also made me think that perhaps Object.mixin might be a more intuitive name for such a function.

Allen