(Map|Set|WeakMap)#set() returns `this` ?

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Fri Dec 7 20:50:35 PST 2012

Andreas Rossberg wrote:
> On 6 December 2012 18:38, Rick Waldron<waldron.rick at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> I agree with other voices in this thread that in general, returning
>>> 'this' rather is an anti pattern.
>> The evidence I've brought to this discussion shows that the most widely used
>> and depended upon libraries heavily favor the pattern.
>
> That's not necessarily a contradiction. ;)

That might seem a little bit mean. Let me help :-).

If we had "fluent syntax", say Dave's
https://blog.mozilla.org/dherman/2011/12/01/now-thats-a-nice-stache/
variant, all along, would |this|-return have been developed as a
pattern? Hard to know but the odds arguably go down. They don't go up.

A cascade syntax would help avoid the pigeon-hole problem face by
setters: RHS value, like assignment? |this| for chaining? If that could
be an unnecessary dilemma, we could spend our time on other things.

But we don't have cascade syntax in ES6. We are adding Map/Set/WeakMap.
So back to the dilemma.