Module Comments

Andreas Rossberg rossberg at google.com
Thu Dec 6 08:08:14 PST 2012

On 6 December 2012 15:42, Kevin Smith <khs4473 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 5) Dynamic exports via `export = ?` could make interop with existing
>> module systems easier.  But how does that work?
>
> Dave gave an outline.  I'm liking this.  What are the downsides, if any?

The downside is that it introduces a severe anomaly into the module
semantics (a module which actually has no instance). I could live with
this feature if we were to find a way to explain it in terms of simple
syntactic sugar on both the import and export side, but screwing and
complicating the semantics for minor syntactic convenience is not
something I am particularly fond of.

/Andreas