(Map|Set|WeakMap)#set() returns `this` ?

Rick Waldron waldron.rick at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 12:35:40 PST 2012

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Andrea Giammarchi <
andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Said that, since as I have written "no pattern blocks anyone to reach
> same goals inline" I don't even feel that strong about it, I am just saying
> what would be the ideal scenario in my opinion, wondering initially why it
> has been chosen a different one.
>

> I am happy to read that I wasn't the only one preferring the value instead
> of `this` so ... mine was just a summary for CC'ed people and nothing else.
>
> All I would like to believe is that these discussions are performed more
> often in this ML and before Meeting Notes so you have more material there
> before making decisions.

This is at least the third time that you've implied that "the committee"
made a decision without considering the facts. I chose to not respond
previously, but I'm going to tell you right now that I reject your
implication—on the grounds that you're wrong. I spent a lot of time
preparing and researching patterns of "post mutation returns" in widely
adopted codebases, as well as measuring developer expectations by way of
informal survey. If I had any reason to believe that this was not a
desirable approach, I would've requested removal from agenda myself. Prior
to the meeting, I spoke in person with several different committee members
to get a general feel and the support was unanimously in favor.

Rick