Array iterator questions

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Sat Dec 1 21:58:37 PST 2012

Jason Orendorff wrote:
> 1. The current draft spec has Array.prototype.@@iterator() behaving
> like .values(), so:
>
>     for (x of ["a"])
>         print(x);
>
> would print the pair ["0", "a"].
>
> The proposal had Array iterators producing values only by default. Why
> the change?

This came up two days ago at the TC39 meeting. It's a drafting error.

> (It seems like it could be a typo, or it could be motivated by a
> desire for consistency across all collections. If the latter, Map
> should change, not Array.)

There is some desire, which motivated Allen's
Array.prototype.{keys,values,items} additions in the latest draft, to
have self-polymorphic method dispatch for implementing {keys,values,items}.

This led to a discussion that concluded by separating the method naming
scheme and standard troika (and Andreas Rossberg proposed entries not
items, which everyone thought better), from the generic
object-reflection function troika that return iterators for property
keys, values, and [key, value] pairs. We argued about whether the two
name-troikas should match, and I think ended up allowing for this.

Dave had a suggestion for adding a bit of "dict" veneer to the generic
functions in a standard module, but I'll let him 'splain that.

> 2. According to 15.4.6.2.2, the iterators produced by
> Array.prototype.keys and .items will expose the index values as
> strings. Why strings? Don't numbers make more sense?

Agreed these should not coerce to string.

/be