ECMAScript collation question

Nebojša Ćirić cira at google.com
Fri Aug 31 08:24:24 PDT 2012

This is what Markus had to say (he implemented most of the collation for
ICU):

"http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr10/#Avoiding_Normalization

Step 1 of the algorithm: http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr10/#Step_1
which has a note:

   - Conformant implementations may skip this step *in certain
   circumstances: *see *Section 6.5, Avoiding
Normalization<http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr10/#Avoiding_Normalization>
   * for more information.

See also http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr10/#Parametic_Tailoring
-> attribute "normalization", see the description there
(this whole table 14 will soon move to the LDML spec, leaving only a link
in this place)"

So the question is:

1. Do we change i18n API default for normalization to always be true, with
some performance penalty?
2. Update ES 262 spec with info Markus passed (if possible)?

--
Nebojša Ćirić