Object.observe and observing "computed properties"

Steve Sanderson flares at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 03:09:51 PDT 2012

Hey

Thanks very much for your detailed response! I totally agree that the
question can be distilled down to "deciding when [a] function should be
re-evaluated", and that two approaches are "2a: requiring function author
to declare [dependencies]" or "2b: attempt to discover [dependencies]".

To clarify why Knockout/Batman/CanJS/etc developers make use of dependency
detection (and why for them it's necessary for it to be integrated into
observability), there are two main scenarios:

[1] Computed properties whose output depends on observable state. Example:
*    this.grandTotal = function() {*
*        var result = 0;*
*        for (var i = 0; i < this.items.length; i++) { result +=
this.items[i].price; }*
*        return result;*
*    };*

Knockout developers are used to this sort of thing updating automatically
whenever you modify the price of any item, or when you add or remove items
to the array. It would be very inconvenient to have to somehow declare
dependencies manually (2a) - I'm not even sure what kind of syntax or
mechanism you could use when the set of dependencies changes over time.
That leaves option (2b) which works great, as long as dependency detection
is built into observability.

As Rafael correctly points out, some functions may return nondeterministic
values, or values that continually change even given the same inputs (e.g.,
new array instances). In practice that doesn't cause any downside in real
KO applications - you just receive the latest return value and work with
it. It's true that evaluator functions that mutate their own dependencies
are potentially bad (in the worst case, stack overflow), but in practice no
worse than regular recursive functions.

[2] Functions whose effect varies based on observable state. Example:
*    function displayPersonInfo() {*
*        $(".name").text(myModel.name.first);*
*        $(".age").text(myModel.age);*
*        $(".isTall").val(descriptions.isPersonTall(myModel.id));*
*        console.log("Refreshed display for person " + myModel.id);*
*    }*
*    someLibrary.autoRefresh(displayPersonInfo);*

The facility here is being able to take action when one of a set of things
change. This is a core part of why it's easy to write custom binding logic
in KO - you simply provide a callback that accesses arbitrary data and does
something (without having to declare dependencies or subscribe/unsubscribe
to anything), and you know it will be re-run when necesssary.

----

Overall, I've no wish to derail the Object.observe proposal, and fully
accept that dependency detection might end up being out of scope for it.
However if the ES recommendation will end up being "solve this problem
through convention, not language support", I'd love to have a sense of what
kinds of conventions (examples, preferably) we would actually be
recommending and how they would offer a similar level of convenience to
dependency detection.

François's proposal of a "make bindable" function is certainly interesting,
and I wonder to what extent it could tie in with Object.observe. Perhaps
you could have some function that meant "run this callback, and use
Object.observe to set up a subscription to anything bindable that the
callback touches". If so that would have pretty much exactly the right
semantics for the scenarios I'm considering, and the fact that objects
aren't bindable by default would mitigate perf costs.

Thanks again to Rafael for leading the charge on this and making web
development better in the long run!

Steve