Consistency in The Negative Result Values Through Expansion of null's Role

Erik Reppen erik.reppen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 15:02:45 PDT 2012

This topic has probably been beaten to death years before I was even aware
of es-discuss but it continues to get mentioned occasionally as a point of
pain so I thought I'd see if I couldn't attempt to hatch a conversation and
maybe understand the design concerns better than I likely do now.

Consistent Type Return for Pass and Fail?

The principle of consistent type-return has occasionally skewered me as
somebody who came to non-amateur levels of understanding code primarily
through JavaScript. I can see the value in maintaining consistent types for
positive results but not so much for indicators that you didn't get
anything useful. For instance:

* [0,1].indexOf('wombat'); //returns an index on success or  -1 to indicate
failure. -1 passed on to a lot of other array methods of course, indicates
the last element. If you'd asked me the day I made that mistake I could
have told you indexOf probably returns -1 on failure to find something but
it didn't occur to me in the moment.

* 'wombat'.charAt(20); //returns an empty string, but that's a concrete
value whereas 'wombat'[20] returns undefined

Is consistent type return a heuristic carried over from more strictly-typed
paradigms or would it murder performance of the native methods to do the
logic required to return something like null in these cases? In a dynamic
language, why not focus on more consistent return types across the board
for an indicator that you won't be getting particularly handy results?

Generic Fail Values

I suspect I'm in the minority but I actually like the variety in the more
generic negative-result/failure values like undefined, null and NaN since
they can help you understand the nature of a problem when they show up in
unexpected places but more consistency of implementation and clarity in
terms of what they mean would definitely be valuable.

Here's my assumptions about the intent of the following values. Please
correct me if I'm wrong:

* undefined - Makes sense to me as-typically implemented (possibly 100%
consistently as I can't think of exceptions). You tried to access something
that wasn't there. Only happens when a function actually returns a
reference to something holding that value or doesn't define something to
return in the first place, or via any property access attempt that doesn't
resolve for the indicated property name/label.

* NaN - Something is expected to evaluate as a number but that's not really
possible due to the rules of arithmetic or a type clash. In some cases it
seems as if the idea is to return NaN any time a number return was expected
but for some reason couldn't be achieved, which as a heuristic doesn't seem
like such a hot idea to me.

* null - Indicates an absence of value. There were no regEx matches in a
string, for instance.

How I'd prefer to see them:

* undefined - as is. It seems like the most consistently implemented of the
lot and when I spot an undefined somewhere unexpected it only takes 1-2
guesses to sort out what's going wrong typically.

* NaN - It can tell you a lot about what kind of thing went wrong but given
it's not-equal-to-itself nature it can be a nasty return value when
unexpected. For instance, 'wombat'.charCodeAt(20) returns NaN. How does
this makes sense in the context of JavaScript? Yes, I'm trying to get a
number but from what I would assume (in complete ignorance of unicode
evaluation at the lower level) is some sort of look-up table. I'm not
trying to divide 'a' by 2, parseInt('a') or get the square root of a
negative number. It's as counter-intuitive as indexOf returning a NaN on a
failure to find a matching element value. A highly specific return value
like NaN only seems ideal to me when the user-placed value responsible is
an operand or as a single argument for a simpler method that is one step
away from being evaluating the arg as a number or failing to do so.

* null - As typically implemented but more universally and broadly. I'd
like to see null in core methods acting more as a catch-all when dealing
with something like a NaN that resulted from operations that don't directly
hit a single obvious argument.  Essentially a message from core methods
telling you, "There's no error but I can't do anything useful with these
argumetns" Examples: There is no index for a value that can't be found in
an array. No matches were possible with that regEx. A more complicated
method that could be attempting to access something in its instance that's
not there or have trouble with a number of args runs into trouble and
returns null on the principle that it's better to be general than misdirect.

An overly explicitly named method to make my point:

someImaginaryCoreMethodThatGetsAnArrayValueViaSomeArrayKeyAndDividesByTwo(someArrayKey)

So basically when the method takes that array key, gets an undefined value
with it, tries to divide undefined by 2, and gets NaN, what's the most
helpful return value from a less experienced user's perspective? Is the
array key undefined or not a number? Is the array element undefined or not
a number?

Or would it be easier to branch your logic consistently when you can only
expect to worry about specifics like NaN at an operator context or for very
concise/straightforward casting/conversion basic operation methods like
parseInt or someMethodThatDividesArgByTwo(arg). And then typically expect
null when there are multiple args or multiple steps to a process where a
number of things could result in a confusing NaN or other more specific
return value to indicate the last thing in an often unobvious cascade of
things to go wrong.

With a broader complexity-catch-all-null-on-fail-return policy, branching
for these sorts of values becomes simpler and more predictable. NaN is more
likely to be something happening in one of my own functions where I can
actually see the operation or the very straightforward convert-arg-style
core-method call responsible, and undefined is almost always the result of
a property typo, a failure to declare a property, or an array index for an
element that doesn't exist.

And null results would mean I'm likely dealing with less simple core
methods that have more than one argument or multiple-step processes. Since
in such cases I'm most likely going to need to check the args I'm passing
and the state of the object a method is acting on anyway, why should I
worry about whether I should be handling empty strings, NaN, -1, undefined
or null when all but null could easily suggest a specific problem that
isn't actually the first link in the chain in the first place?

So for the sake of consistency/sanity in future methods, at least, how
about establishing the following guidelines somewhere on the usage of these
values?

* More specific negative-result values are reserved for simple statements
and very simple one-arg methods that operate directly on the value of your
argument
* Just about anything else returns null for non-positive-result scenarios
where more specific returns don't necessarily clarify and could confuse
things.
* Ditch consistent typing approaches if that's not a lower-level perf thing.