July 25, 2012 - TC39 Meeting Notes

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Tue Aug 14 08:41:04 PDT 2012

Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:

>> >  There is a far longer tradition and a significantly larger body of
>> >  languages that use = for definition and := for assignment (including
>> >  all languages in the Algol&  Pascal tradition). So going with an
>> >  inverted meaning in JS sounds like an awful idea to me (as does using
>> >  Go for inspiration about anything related to declaration syntax;)  ).
>
> About as awful as using [ ] as the indexing operator when every FORTRAN programmer knows that ( ) is how  you do subscripting.  Not to mention what Smalltalk programmers think [ ] means.
>
> There is value in using familiar looking symbols but I think it is unrealistic to expect common semantics among different languages.

After more soak-time on this, I'm on Andreas's side.

Yes, symbols will be used differently by different languages. No, () for
indexing is not expected in modern languages -- Fortran like Disco and
the American Drive-In may never die, but it is rare to find in the wild
or taught in universities.

Doug's confusion was not unique. We may want syntax for redefinition,
but assignment is the dominant trope and it will still be even with :=
or <- or whatever the syntax might be. Perhaps syntax is not needed so
much as Object.define and good docs for when to use it.