July 25, 2012 - TC39 Meeting Notes

Andreas Rossberg rossberg at google.com
Tue Aug 14 04:20:04 PDT 2012

On 29 July 2012 03:58, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.org> wrote:
> Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
>> I really think in a language where we have both [[Put]] and
>> [[DefineOwnProperty]] semantics that we really need both = and :=
>
> I can buy that, and I'm glad you mention := as it is not just an assignment
> operator (e.g. in Pascal or Ada), it's also Go's declare-and-init operator.
> It has the right characters, fuzzy meaning from other languages, and the
> critical = char in particular.

There is a far longer tradition and a significantly larger body of
languages that use = for definition and := for assignment (including
all languages in the Algol & Pascal tradition). So going with an
inverted meaning in JS sounds like an awful idea to me (as does using
Go for inspiration about anything related to declaration syntax ;) ).

/Andreas