"var" declarations shadowing properties from Window.prototype

Domenic Denicola domenic at domenicdenicola.com
Sat Aug 11 23:36:08 PDT 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: es-discuss-bounces at mozilla.org [mailto:es-discuss-bounces at mozilla.org] On Behalf Of Brendan Eich
Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2012 22:57

> As noted, they started out that way 17 years ago. I think WebIDL and interface-based method definition made onload, e.g., predefined on window objects, or more recently on Window.prototype. Was this useful?
> Was it intended specifically (for window, not just intended generally due to WebIDL's uniform rules for binding its definitions in JS)?

As a developer, the fact that the properties already exist and are set to null is useful for feature-detection. E.g. any of the following will test for the presence of cross-document messaging:

"onmessage" in window
window.onmessage !== undefined
window.onmessage === null // assuming no badly-behaved third-party scripts

It is also useful strictly from a development POV, because typing `window.on` in the Firefox or Chrome console gives a list of supported events.

FWIW, my mental model is probably closest to these being non-magical own data properties, pre-initialized to null, that the browser will read from and use when it fires the corresponding event. They don't make much sense as accessors to me.