strawman for the := operator

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Thu Aug 9 11:20:12 PDT 2012

On Aug 8, 2012, at 6:14 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:

> No problem. For anyone used to Pascal or Ada, or familiar with Go, := could indeed be a speedbump.

(or Smalltalk, ;-)

But not a big speed-bump. For a Pascal programmers moving directly to ES without any exposure to a C-syntax language, I'm pretty sure that  =/:= confusion isn't going to be the biggest hurdle they will have to deal with.

Using similar syntax for similar semantics in different programming language makes it easer to initially pickup a new language. But to be competent in a new language you have to learn its syntactic subtleties .  Even ES = and C = don't have identical semantics.

Maybe programmers are as practiced in learning new language as they were "back in the day" but I'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt in that regard.

Allen