strawman for the := operator

Axel Rauschmayer axel at rauschma.de
Wed Aug 8 15:08:11 PDT 2012

> I'm not yet convinced that Object.update should be restricted to own properties. If you're only using object literals, then yeah, you want own properties only; you're basically using object literals as a poor man's named arguments. But if you're just taking an arbitrary object, there's less reason to expect that its relevant properties won't be inherited.

Can you elaborate? Because usually, you have instances that point to shared prototypes. Then you’d also want only the own properties. If there is a type hierarchy, all constructors put all instance data in the same object, so you already have an automatic flattening.

--
Dr. Axel Rauschmayer
axel at rauschma.de

home: rauschma.de