Hash style comments

Russell Leggett russell.leggett at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 11:07:41 PDT 2012


Not to keep being down on this post, but as long as YAML adds JS style
comments, wouldn't JSON still be a strict subset?

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Jussi Kalliokoski <
jussi.kalliokoski at gmail.com> wrote:

> And even if it wasn't, it wouldn't make much sense to use the only
> punctuation symbol we have left for comments where we already have two
> syntaxes. :)
>
> Cheers,
> Jussi
>
>
> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 7:38 PM, Rick Waldron <waldron.rick at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Trans <transfire at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi. First time posting to the list, so please forgive if I am not
>>> following proper approach.
>>>
>>> I'd like to make one proposal for future of EMCAScript. I would like
>>> to see support for `#` comment notation.
>>>
>>
>> The # is already on hold for several potential syntax additions:
>>
>> - sealed object initializers
>> http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:obj_initialiser_methods
>> - Tuples http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:tuples
>> - Records http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:records
>>
>> Rick
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>>
>>> The reasons for this are more interesting than one might think.
>>>
>>> First, of course, is the simple fact that `#` is a very common
>>> notation among programming languages. It is used by Shell scripts,
>>> Ruby, Python, even Coffeescript, and many others.
>>>
>>> Secondly, `#` is preferable to `//` in that it is only one character
>>> instead of two, and albeit subjective (IMHO) it just seems a little
>>> bit more aesthetic.
>>>
>>> But another reason, that few will at first consider, is the
>>> relationship between JSON and YAML. Their respective development teams
>>> made an effort to ensure JSON was a perfect subset of YAML. Now there
>>> is consideration of JSON5 (https://github.com/aseemk/json5). JSON5
>>> adds support for comments, however it is Javascript style comments,
>>> where as YAML supports `#` style comments. This causes the
>>> superset-subset relationship to break. To help remedy this going
>>> forward, it would be very helpful if EMCAScript also supported `#`
>>> comments. The YAML spec could in turn add support for `//` style
>>> comments.
>>>
>>> To be clear, I am not suggesting that `//` be deprecated. That would
>>> simply break far too much old code for no good reason! I am just
>>> seeking for `#` to be supported too.
>>>
>>> Thanks for consideration,
>>> trans
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> es-discuss mailing list
>>> es-discuss at mozilla.org
>>> https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss
>>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> es-discuss mailing list
>> es-discuss at mozilla.org
>> https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss
>>
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> es-discuss mailing list
> es-discuss at mozilla.org
> https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/attachments/20120808/398a9abf/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the es-discuss mailing list