=?utf-8?Q?What=E2=80=99s_?=the best name for keyword parameters?

Rick Waldron waldron.rick at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 14:23:50 PDT 2012

On Monday, August 6, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Axel Rauschmayer wrote:

> > > I agree. It would still be nice if we could find a common way of talking about this pattern (*in* the common lexicon). With the additional ES.next support, it is bound to become even more popular. It can feel like bikeshedding, but I think good naming matters. For example, I’m thankful for the term IIFE.
> > Ben Alman coined this, not the spec.
> You are making my point!
>
> Or are you saying that this kind of discussion (not *directly* related to the spec) is off-topic? But where else can you discuss this?
I think here is a fine place to discuss things like that, but they may not be relevant to the spec. IIFE is not a thing that is explicitly specified, but instead the product of combining 3 specified things: grouping, function expression and invocation. Prior to that they were commonly called "self executing anonymous function" which isn't even correct, let alone part of the spec.

I guess I'm just unclear about the motivation. I could say that the world should call fat-arrow functions "rocket routines", but then I'd be wrong if the spec still called them fat-arrow functions—regardless of whether or not I bothered to post it to es-discuss.

Rick