Template strings and templates

John J Barton johnjbarton at johnjbarton.com
Sat Aug 4 10:41:05 PDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 10:30 PM, Axel Rauschmayer <axel at rauschma.de> wrote:

> Ah, OK. Spitballing: A synonym of tag then, maybe? Alas, label is out. If
> the term was, say, “mark” then one could conceivably say “mark function”
> instead of handler.

Aren't these macros?

tag`literal${substitution}literal`

macro`literal${substitution}literal`

The default or passthru macro applies when the developer does not supply a
macro.

Or if you prefer

macro_function`a macro with ${substitution} here`

Then we don't have to spend several years explaining how template strings
are templates but not <template>s and aren't string templates because they
take non-string substitutions.

(IMO oxymoronic quasi-literal is embarrassing).

jjb