Template strings and templates

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Fri Aug 3 14:38:26 PDT 2012

On Aug 3, 2012, at 1:08 PM, Claus Reinke wrote:

> Btw, the negative experience with Haskell's "monads" terminology
> shows that choosing a scary name can hamper the adoption of even the most useful language features. So switching to "template strings" is a good idea. We do need to communicate that they are not limited to strings, though: template parameters and tag results can be
> arbitrary ES objects/values.

I chose "template string" over "string template"  to emphasize that it was a template that was expressed as a string rather than a template for a string.  That may be too subtle of a distinction.  At the TC39 there were some concerns that simply "template" was too general and might cause confusion relative to other templating mechanism.

Allen