Internationalization: Issues with upgrading to UTS 35 version 21

Norbert Lindenberg ecmascript at norbertlindenberg.com
Fri Aug 3 10:49:44 PDT 2012

For the core BCP 47 (language, script, country), letting applications choose what to support makes sense and is how the Internationalization spec is written.

For the Unicode locale extension, however, we have to be more selective. The Unicode locale extension has
- keys that should be fully under application control and hence not be part of a locale (e.g., "cu"),
- keys that overlap, but don't fully align with features that we decided to let applications control via options (e.g., "co", "ks", "kc"),
- keys that require special syntax support in the algorithms specified in the standard ("vt", "kr").
We therefore have to decide case by case which keys to support how, and can't leave this up to implementations.

The conformance clause allows implementations to support additional features through other mechanisms, such as additional properties on the options object.

Norbert