Spec feedback on rev 6

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Thu Aug 2 09:17:54 PDT 2012

Herby Vojčík wrote:
> I was not encouraging "informative stuff", I was explicitly speaking
> about test cases, as there are half-way between - they are test cases
> for the normative part.

Tests are informative, not normative. This is a matter of definition and
there's no middle ground.

In practice, real tests are software, as buggy or buggier than a
well-reviewed spec, and less informative than a well-written spec. The
spec is normative, though -- never perfect, just the thing people try to
rally around first, the repository that's idealized as "upstream" of
implementations, testsuites, books, etc.