The Name of the Name

David Herman dherman at mozilla.com
Wed Aug 1 15:59:00 PDT 2012

On Aug 1, 2012, at 3:53 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 3:44 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.org> wrote:
>> [...] However in print, Name can work as well as Symbol or other terms.
>

> If we call the category of things that Object.getOwnPropertyNames does
> not return "Name"s, ...
>
> It is too late to rename getOwnPropertyNames.

That's been bothering me too. I think it's good you brought this up. As long as we come up with a reasonable new term, it's probably best for us to alpha-rename the spec-internal concept of "a thing that can be used as the key of an object property", and stick with "name" and "key" as user-facing terminology for "a string that is used as the key of an object property."

Dave