The Name of the Name

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Wed Aug 1 15:44:42 PDT 2012

Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
> I suspect we will get around to having some level of syntactic support
> for defining these things so I'm more concerned about how we talk
> about them (ie, the name of the language feature)  then I am about
> what what has to be typed in source code and possible source code name
> conflicts.
>
> From that perspective, a fairly unusual noun that is unlike to be
> confused with application domain concepts would be ideal.
>
> One possibility is :  moniker

/n./ /Slang/
A personal name or nickname.

Nope.

> Microsoft COM

You lost me right there :-P.

> uses that term for a different but somewhat similar abstraction.
>  Other than that usage, which seems benign, moniker seems unlikely to
> carry other unwarranted technical implications.
>
> Consider:
>   "A property key is either a string or a moniker"

I agree that "Name" here is confusing when one reads aloud, because the
capital N and code font are not voiced. However in print, Name can work
as well as Symbol or other terms.

It would be awkward to have only compound names such as UniqueName and
PrivateName.

Hacker jargon such as a nouned "gensym" would be as distinctive, if not
moreso, and better yet, well-employed compared to "moniker".

I'd love to hear from Dave and Sam since they have lots of experience
from Racket/Scheme.

/be