July 26, 2012 TC39 Meeting Notes

Brandon Benvie brandon at brandonbenvie.com
Wed Aug 1 10:10:47 PDT 2012

> Why would a programmer do that? Will the built-ins ([[DefineOwnProperty]],
> [[Get]], etc.) do case-analysis to distinguish string and names? If they
> don't, I don't really see why the programmer would. In most cases, one will
> just forward to Reflect.trap(stringOrName, ...).

This is the angle I've been looking at it from. The expectation is that the
default Reflect handlers will almost always be used to execute actions for
proxies. Even if you want to modify the target or parameters that were
given you still use Reflect to execute the ultimate action. The only times
you don't use Reflect is when you are preventing the action or hosting some
virtual object API. Given that fact, most of the time you don't even need
to know what the parameters are at all.