A few arrow function specification issues

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Tue Apr 24 14:43:54 PDT 2012

Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
> Back to the original point, which was that making strict mode delete
> throw when applied to a non-configurable property is not significantly
> higher integrity than the non-strict behavior of returning false when
> a property can not be deleted.
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/steffmac/5733303422/lightbox/
>
> Anton reported that this delete throw was one of the two strict mode
> features that caused him some difficult in switching to string mode.
>  I suggested that we might consider removing the delete throw behavior
> from strict mode.  No body has comment on that specific idea.

I agree! Sorry for not saying so earlier, thought it was obvious ;-).

A thrown exception doesn't necessarily stop forward progress either,
with try/catch in since ES3. It tends to make empty catch boilerplate,
though. I've often contended that termination-style exceptions don't
scale: they're good for local protocols but bad in the large.