A few arrow function specification issues

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Tue Apr 24 14:41:36 PDT 2012

On Apr 24, 2012, at 1:28 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:

> Douglas Crockford wrote:
>> On 4/23/2012 6:41 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:
>>> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 6:30 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock
>>> <allen at wirfs-brock.com <mailto:allen at wirfs-brock.com>> wrote:
>>>

>>>    The point is that much of what is done on the web is not high
>>>    integrity computation. It is essential that high integrity be
>>>    possible, when it is required. But forcing all computation into the
>>>    high integrity category seems like as bad an idea as forcing all
>>>    computation to be low integrity.  I really wonder how successful JS
>>>    would have been if it had started out as a high integrity language.
>>>
>>> Yes, I think that's a good point.
>>
>> No, that is not a good point. The strange ascendance of JS can best be described as miraculous. It succeed despite its low integrity, not because of it.
>>
>> Our problem is not to figure out how to make this language popular. We have somehow already managed that through amazing luck.
>
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076759/quotes?qt=qt0440727
>
>> I think our problem now is to disarm the array of toeguns while minimizing breakage as much as possible, and to avoid installing new toeguns. I think a focus on high integrity gives us a useful discipline.
>
> Of course we'll never know, but I've argued something I *do* know: I made JS mutable by default (all objects, almost all properties safe constructor.prototype and perhaps some DOM ones) in 1995 because I knew developers would have to monkey-patch it right away. I was counting on that non-miracle to help save it.

Back to the original point, which was that making strict mode delete throw when applied to a non-configurable property is not significantly higher integrity than the non-strict behavior of returning false when a property can not be deleted.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/steffmac/5733303422/lightbox/

Anton reported that this delete throw was one of the two strict mode features that caused him some difficult in switching to string mode.  I suggested that we might consider removing the delete throw behavior from strict mode.  No body has comment on that specific idea.

Allen