A few arrow function specification issues

Douglas Crockford douglas at crockford.com
Tue Apr 24 12:13:45 PDT 2012

On 4/23/2012 6:41 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 6:30 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock
> <allen at wirfs-brock.com <mailto:allen at wirfs-brock.com>> wrote:
>

>     The point is that much of what is done on the web is not high
>     integrity computation. It is essential that high integrity be
>     possible, when it is required. But forcing all computation into the
>     high integrity category seems like as bad an idea as forcing all
>     computation to be low integrity.  I really wonder how successful JS
>     would have been if it had started out as a high integrity language.
>
> Yes, I think that's a good point.

No, that is not a good point. The strange ascendance of JS can best be
described as miraculous. It succeed despite its low integrity, not
because of it.

Our problem is not to figure out how to make this language popular. We
have somehow already managed that through amazing luck. I think our
problem now is to disarm the array of toeguns while minimizing breakage
as much as possible, and to avoid installing new toeguns. I think a
focus on high integrity gives us a useful discipline.