A few arrow function specification issues

John J Barton johnjbarton at johnjbarton.com
Mon Apr 23 17:22:55 PDT 2012

Ok I gotta testify for the other side: use strict is not all roses. I hit
three problems with 'use strict':

1. I wrote the following code in JavaScript:

function register(otherWindow, local, options) {

    var remote = Q_COMM.Connection(otherWindow, local, options);

    remote.discover = function (remoteName) {...}

   return remote;
}

Upon calling the function I was surprised to find remote.discover was not
set.  After a long debug session I discovered that Q_COMM had frozen
'remote', but in order for me, the library user to get an error message I
had 'use strict'. In my opinion this is a bug.

2. Web Inspector has a bug related to use strict:

 3. The typical solution for obtaining a reference to the global object:

var global = (function() { return this; })();

fails in 'use strict'. As Domenic tells me, you have use

var global = Function('return this')();

These are not fundamental problems with 'use strict', they are practical
problems caused by fragmenting the language in to modes.

jjb