A few arrow function specification issues

Domenic Denicola domenic at domenicdenicola.com
Mon Apr 23 16:59:48 PDT 2012

As a day-to-day user who was not using strict until recently (stubborn other team member for the loss), I can say that moving to strict was much more a "cleanup" experience than a "mode" experience, with only a few small exceptions:

1) Poison-pilling arguments.callee: some code on the internet (notably [1], but elsewhere too) uses this property.

2) Throw on `delete`ing non-configurables: unlike the other throw-on-doing-something-bad, `delete`ing non-configurable properties was something we actually did on purpose. E.g. using it to clear an "entry" in a "map", whether or not that entry was ever filled. (Cf. [2].) We never tried writing to a non-writable property, because that would cause bugs, but `delete`ing a property that doesn't exist was a common pattern.

[1]: http://www.devthought.com/2011/12/22/a-string-is-not-an-error/
[2]: https://github.com/cjohansen/Sinon.JS/commit/80c38bd3e4b8813ab74ef27a4db3646e4778e31c

---

Otherwise, it was just cleanup: we got to get rid of our global detector (`setInterval(compareWindowPropertiesToLastTimeYouChecked(), 1000)`), never missed `with` or evil-`eval`, and due to a V8 bug never had boxed `this` in the first place. We're using it transparently throughout the codebase, in fact, due to using an XHR+`eval` module loader that can insert the `"use strict"` pragma before `eval`ing.