Bound instance-function vending (was RE: Arrow binding)

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Mon Apr 23 11:12:24 PDT 2012

There's a big penalty even in optimizing VMs in adding (the same) method
reference to every instance, vs. sharing it via a prototype. Binding
|this| without new syntax, using whatever (closures, .bind), can be
optimized but it's a challenge and mainly, users do not  do it.

The functional-combinator OOP style Angus advocates, which relies on
.call to delegate, is pretty but it's yet another discipline and not one
I see catching on. The language doesn't make it any easier for users
than for optimizing VM implementors.

The pattern you show below, the "closure pattern", is advocated (e.g. by
crock's book) and it is used. The cost doesn't matter at low object
populations and it's pretty enough, besides being already there, that I
agree it will be hard to beat in my view.

/be