destructuring: as patterns?

Andreas Rossberg rossberg at google.com
Thu Apr 19 02:35:29 PDT 2012

On 19 April 2012 00:45, Allen Wirfs-Brock <allen at wirfs-brock.com> wrote:

> On Apr 18, 2012, at 2:48 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:
>
>> David Herman wrote:
>>> *Please*, let's do this right.
>> This says to me (what I originally expected) that duplicate property name at any ply in an object pattern should be an early error.
>>
>> Anyone disagree?

I wholeheartedly agree.

> I'm not sure that the concern about repeated side-effects is very significant given that any property access can have arbitrary side-effects including adding and removing properties from the RHS object.

I agree with that, too, though my impression is that implementations
already get the exact sequences of such observable steps wrong in
quite a few other cases (I played around with corner cases when doing
proxies). The case above looks easy enough, but in general, the fewer
possible micro observations the better.

/Andreas