Legacy const, attempt 2 (Re: Legacy const)

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Wed Apr 18 11:32:12 PDT 2012

Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:
> As such, we should spec it: likely block-scoped in modules, and
> function-scoped otherwise. We should only really not spec it if we can
> get everyone who currently supports it to drop it.

The TC39 group met early this year (IIRC it was the Yahoo!-hosted
meeting in January) and Gavin B. of Apple agreed to try changing const
to match ES6 (block-scoped everywhere), and to reserve 'let' everywhere too.

TC39 is not inclined to maximize compatibility for 'const' given
non-support in IE so far, and enough non-interoperation among the other
browser implementations to keep web developers from relying on it even
in non-IE (if (!document.all)) code forks.