Legacy const, attempt 2 (Re: Legacy const)

Geoffrey Sneddon gsneddon at opera.com
Wed Apr 18 11:13:51 PDT 2012

I've just had it pointed out to me that my original email made little
sense, so let's try again:

const has historically been needed in non-strict/strict code for web
compatibility on non-IE code (typically either down to server-side UA
sniffing or just explicitly non-support of IE). IE still doesn't support
it, which may suggest it's not needed for compatibility any more, but as
far as I can tell removing it would break enough to make it infeasible.

As such, we should spec it: likely block-scoped in modules, and
function-scoped otherwise. We should only really not spec it if we can
get everyone who currently supports it to drop it.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon — Opera Software
<http://gsnedders.com>