Proxies and observable spec algorithms

David Bruant bruant.d at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 15:22:57 PDT 2012

Hi,

Today, I came across a test on Firefox test suite [1]. This test
verifies that on the proxy, the traps gets called in the right order
according to the ES5 algorithm of Array.prototype.splice.
Seeing this test made me realize that as soon as proxy gets in the spec
and implemented in web browsers, every single built-in function
algorithm will be observable, so will need to be frozen while before
proxies, they didn't need to (which allowed internal refactorings).

This seems to be the last time major refactorings can be applied to
these algorithms. Are they ready to be frozen?

Maybe it would be worth having tests for this in test262 as an attempt
to ensure interoperability for all these algorithms when used in
combination with proxies?

David

[1]
http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/js/src/jit-test/tests/basic/splice-check-steps.js