Source Map Standard

David Bruant bruant.d at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 11:45:05 PDT 2012

Hi,

I am not part of TC39.
I do not really have any opinion on whether it's a good or bad idea, but
I have some questions (below):

Le 11/04/2012 20:11, Joey Schorr a écrit :
> Greetings ES Discuss!
>
> We (Joey Schorr and John Lenz, CCed) are some of the authors of the
> source map specification that is now implemented by WebKit and
> Firefox, as well as a number of compilers (Closure Compiler, GWT and
> soon CoffeeScript). Given that the specification is becoming a
> de-facto standard for mapping of code which is compiled to JS, we were
> curious if there was any interest in making it an actual standard
> under TC39.
What's your interest in seeing this happening?
What would be the benefit for you?
For the spec?

> The current specification can be found
> here: https://docs.google.com/a/google.com/document/d/1U1RGAehQwRypUTovF1KRlpiOFze0b-_2gc6fAH0KY0k/edit,
> with a number of contributions from all the various parties involved.
It seems like a good specification already (I can't see a copyright or
licence. What's the status on that?). And you have two interoperable
implementations apparently.
What more would you need from a standardisation process?
Reaching out more browsers to adopt it?

As much as I enjoy JavaScript, I'm aware of its limitations and I'm
looking forward to more languages compiling down to JavaScript and your
work is an excellent step towards having more of such languages, so
thank you :-)

David